If you're using a Windows computer, the T.O.V.A. will probably work for you. To be sure, please look at which version of Windows your computer is running:
- Review the T.O.V.A. System Requirements.
- Click the Start menu button.
winverand press 'Enter'.
The logo at the top tells you the general Windows version:
- If the dialog reports "Windows 7", "Windows 8", or "Windows 10", it should be compatible with the T.O.V.A. Now, let's see if it will work with the PTE.
- If this dialog does not appear or it reports some other Windows version, your computer is probably incompatible with the T.O.V.A.
Precision Test Environment (PTE)
The PTE in the latest versions of the T.O.V.A. is compatible with most new systems. However, the newest computer hardware may not work. In addition, some computers have difficulty restarting to the PTE, even if they are technically compatible.
Note: The PTE is not designed to work with multiple screens. If you are using an external monitor, consider using the EAV hardware setup instead.
Install the T.O.V.A.:
The best way to see if your computer is compatible with the Precision Test Environment (PTE) is to install the current T.O.V.A. software from our website.
- Enter your T.O.V.A. device serial number at https://www.tovatest.com/downloads. You can find your serial number on the bottom of your black T.O.V.A. device.
If you haven't bought a T.O.V.A. kit yet, enter '30000' (outside the USA, '20000').
- Click 'Submit' to download the current installer for your hardware.
- Run the installer and follow the steps to configure the software and set up the T.O.V.A. hardware.
- Make sure to choose Precision Test Environment (PTE) in the Configuration wizard.
- At the end of the Hardware wizard, choose 'Test the PTE'.
- Click 'OK' and the T.O.V.A. will restart your computer to the PTE.
If you already exited the Hardware wizard, do the following:
- Run the T.O.V.A. and click 'Help'.
- Click 'Test the PTE...'.
- Accept the defaults and click 'OK'.
- If prompted, attach your T.O.V.A. flash drive.
- If the T.O.V.A. reports that your flash drive is out of date, click 'Send to Tech Support' to request a new one.
Your computer should then boot to the PTE.
- If it works, great! Next, you should Test the PTE.
- If it boots to an error screen instead:
- Plug in your T.O.V.A. flash drive. This will log information that you can send to T.O.V.A. tech support.
- Take a photo of the error and email it to T.O.V.A. tech support: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please make sure the text is clearly readable.
- If it boots right back to Windows, you may need different PTE options. Please send us a Tech Support Request so we can help you find the right option for your system.
- If your computer is incompatible with the T.O.V.A. PTE, click here for other options.
Test the PTE
Once you boot to the PTE, please do the following:
- Click 'Calibrate display' and follow the directions. Calibration must be successful before you can administer the T.O.V.A. visual test.
- Adjust the volume at the bottom of the main PTE menu. Make sure you can clearly hear the voice and the test tones.
- Try out the test instructions and the T.O.V.A. practice test.
- Once you're finished testing the PTE, click 'Done' to exit and return to your normal environment.
If you encounter any problems in the PTE, plug in your T.O.V.A. flash drive. This will log information that you can send to T.O.V.A. tech support.