Please read these system requirements carefully. Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any questions.
The T.O.V.A. 8 requires a computer that has:
- An x86 or x86-64 processor running at 1 GHz or better
- 512 MB of RAM memory
- Minimum of 1 GB hard drive space
- USB port (on the PC, not via an external hub)
The T.O.V.A. 8 requires a display that:
- Is equal to or greater than 10 inches (measured diagonally)
- Supports 1024 x 768 resolution and
- Precision Testing Environment (PTE) setup requires a graphics card and screen that supports VESA video mode of 1024 x 768 x 16-bit.
- External A/V (EAV) setup requires:
- An external display with a standard VGA connection
- External speakers with a standard 3.5 mm stereo plug.
Operating System Requirements
The T.O.V.A. 8 can run on the following operating systems:
- Windows XP (32-bit, SP2 or better)
- Windows Vista (all versions)
- Windows 7 (all versions)*
- Windows 10 systems upgraded from Windows 7
* The Skylake, Kaby Lake, and probably later lines of Intel processors do not support the BIOS video extensions that we use for precise timing. As a result, the current PTE will not boot on systems that have them, including Windows 7 systems.
This includes, but is perhaps not limited to, the following models:
- HD Graphics 510
- HD Graphics 515
- HD Graphics 520
- HD Graphics 530
- Iris Graphics 540
- Iris Graphics 550
- Iris Pro Graphics 580
- HD Graphics 610
- HD Graphics 615
- HD Graphics 620
- UHD Graphics 620
- HD Graphics 630
- Iris Plus Graphics 640
- Iris Plus Graphics 650
- Windows "10 S" only runs Windows Store applications and will not run the T.O.V.A.
- Windows 8 and 10 systems may require Internet access to install the .NET Framework.
- Most "netbook" and many "ultraportable" laptops do not meet the screen size and resolution requirements and thus will not work with the PTE.
- We don't recommend Toshiba Satellite or Satellite Pro laptops because of their often incompatible designs.
For a more in depth explanation of Windows 8 and 10 compatibility, please click here.
- With the External Audio/Video (EAV) setup:
- Any Mac running Mac OS X 10.7.5 or newer
- With the Precision Testing Environment (PTE) setup:
- Mac OS X 10.7.5 or newer
- 2014 model Macs and earlier
- 2015 generation (and later) MacBook Pro, MacBook Air and iMacs are not supported with the PTE.
- 2015 generation (and later) MacBooks are not supported because they lacks standard USB ports.
- iMac users must use a USB keyboard or mouse (not a wireless keyboard).
- Linux installations are only partially supported; please inquire for more information.
External Audio/Video ("EAV") Setup Requirements
EAV setups allow the user to administer the T.O.V.A. without rebooting.
- Requires an external VGA monitor, as on a desktop computer.
- Requires external speakers with a standard 3.5 mm stereo plug for the auditory T.O.V.A. test.
- A VGA video port on the host PC is recommended.
Precision Test Environment ("PTE") Setup
The PTE setup allows administering the T.O.V.A. test on a computer without an external monitor, such as a laptop. This requires rebooting the computer into the T.O.V.A. 8 PTE.
- Requires a graphics card that supports 1024 x 768 x 16-bit video mode.
- Bluetooth keyboards and mice are not supported. For example, this means that the wireless keyboard shipped with the Apple iMac will not work.
- Mac systems require a boot CD or flash drive.